Monday, February 27, 2012

Cruisin' Through a Series: The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa

Oh, wait, is it possible? Another "ae" faery Cruisin' Through a Series post. I can't tell whether or not this is something to be proud of.  Since I am trying to keep my boyfriend from seeing the laptop screen as I type, its probably not.

But on to the review of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. There are 4 of these books--Iron King, Iron Daughter, Iron Queen, Iron Knight. So through this series the main character Meghan finds out that she is the half-daughter of Oberon, the Faery king of the Summer Court, and that her best friend Robbie is in fact Robin Goodfellow, aka Puck (from a Midsummer's Night's Dream). She enters into the faery world to save her little brother, who had been kidnapped by a new faery in town, the Iron King (faery's lives in this telling are created by humans believing in them, and the iron fey are the new faeries of technology, which I thought was kind of cool. There is lots of iron, computer cords, etc in the iron realm). Through the next 3 books there are shenanigans of a war against the iron king, intrigue between the Winter Court  and the Summer Court, and trying to get the new and old faerie to cooperate since the fey are deathly allergic to iron. I have to say I kinda loved the characters in this. Puck is sarcastic and hilarious, Grimalkin the cat explains everything by "I am a cat" which is very funny, even if it doesn't translate to blogdom. I don't hate Meghan, which is pretty good considering the instalove with Prince Ash--SIGH.

Now, for the recap of why I kept coming back. Here is the scene. Crazy Camper calls me on her way home from work  and is all, oh hey I read book one and now book three has arrived at the lib, can you just summarize book two for me? AND I actually got to explain:

"so en-route to stopping a war between the Winter and Summer courts, Ash got wounded and needed to heal, and so he needed to  find some glamour, aka human emotions, to sorta feed off of and regain super faery strength. Puck, Meghan, and Ash happened to be in Meghan's home town where the school nurse was some sort of faery and the nurse pointed out that the Winter Ball was happening that night--perfect place to find emotions!  So the faeries make Meghan some fab dress from moss and dew and whatnot, and Ash wears and white tux and Puck a black one and off they go to the dance and make eyes at each other."


I mean, the end. that's amazing. and absurd.
(PS PUCK IS GREAT these covers, kinda painful to be seen with)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!