Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: Hollowland by Amanda Hocking


Sigh ... I'm obsessed. I looooooved this book. This was an accidental find on Amazon.com (thank you, Prime) and now I just have to have more zombies. I think this one had a warning that it's only for kids 16 and over due to some language and one smoosh scene (yes, 10% of my vocabulary comes from Jersey Shore), but gosh that was worth it. 

The book was surprisingly well-written and gripping from the very first sentence. We follow our herione, Remy, (who owns her badassed-ness, might I add) through a world that has been infected by the mysterious lyssavirus, turning normal humans into flesh eating zombies. While the humans remaining are waiting out the virus, Remy is on a crusade to find her younger brother Max who - gasp - is actually immune to the virus.

We follow Remy through the relationships she makes on her journey to the next government quarantine and while the romance aspect with former rocker, Lazlo, isn't the hottest I've ever read, it's so well written it doesn't bother me. There's not a lot of pining, but within the confines of this story, it just worked.

Sigh ... I'm obsessed.
  • Originality: 4; zombies have been done, but this zombie book was done well!
  • Absurdity: 6; I mean, come on, zombies are inherently absurd ...
  • Level of Paranormal Romance: 5; not so paranormal (unless you consider post-Apocolyptical romance paranormal) and not super romantic, there is a the "crush" aspect of the book that kept me interested!
  • Level of Harry-Potterness: 7; I would give this high marks. This wasn't the most amazing prose I'd ever read, but it was good, clean writing that kept me engaged from page one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!