Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Here is Crazy Camper's review of  Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement Moore!


First of all, thank goodness for the Nook on this cover/ at the same time I totally selected this from the library webpage based on its cover...even though it has ZERO ZILTCH to do with the book. Maybe that white thing is the ghost?  But to me, Amy was way more spunky then that silly looking red-head on the cover.

From Good Reads: Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

Hot neighbor cowboy? Witches? Ghosts? Don't mind if I do..
  • Originality: 7 - It is not everyday that witches meet cowboys to face a ghost.  While the ghosts and witches are not super original, I loved the Goodnight family and how their powers fit into modern science and everyday life.  Shampoo that clears your head?  I could definitely use some of that in the mornings (maybe I wouldn't have missed the highway exit for work this morning, or left my headphones at home...)
  • Absurdity: 6 - Amy manages, by mistake, to attach her self to a ghost who is less then pleasant and her and her sister work to figure it out.  Should this be absurd? Yes.  But for some reason, I had no problem with it, probably because I wish my family had these sorts of powers.  From page one, I was on board.
  • Level of Paranormal Romance: 4 -Romance, yes, paranormal, not really.  There is a moment of fear that a love spell has been invoked, but SPOILER ALERT, don't worry, that hunky cowboy just really does like Amy.  phew.  Nothing better then many descriptions of hot cowboys sweating in the Texas sun, jumping on horses and pulling girls to their feet.  Who doesn't like cowboys, really.
  • Level of Harry Potterness: 5. Pretty average all around.  I managed to read most of this on a rainy Saturday afternoon and happily cruised through easy reading.
All in all, one of my more favorite books in a while. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I think again it might be the cowboys...


ADDENDUM FROM GRAD STUDENT: I read this this week, too! LOVED IT. It was very funny I thought. I loved the sassy Nancy Drew references. We were big fans of the girl detective growing up. And the setting in Texas Hill Country makes me want to go there and find myself a cowboy. I would add 9.5 points to the level of romance grade here because Ben McCulloch makes an excellent swoon-worthy love interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Heck ya!