Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Timepiece by Myra McEntire

I devoured the second book in the Hourglass series by Myra McEntire, Timepiece. KALEB! Yes!  Sometimes sequels spin their wheels, but Timepiece rocked. Plot was forwarded, characters grew, and, most importantly, we got more Kaleb. He is a 110% attractive dude.

Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.
  Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...(GoodReads).
  •  Originality: 4. As the back of my copy says, this is Dr. Who packaged for young adults. But why does time travel have to be so darn complicated!? This score might reflect my brain’s inability to deal with time travel pseudo-science.
  • Absurdity:  7. Time travel is absurd, no matter how you slice it. If my future self ran into my past self they would agree on this. And potentially make the world implode.
  • Level of Paranormal Romance: 6. Kaleb and Lily can paranormally mess with time, but most of these points go to the incredibly attractive Kaleb and the evolution of how he feels about Lily. Feelings and hotness –combined! When he wanted to tackle her for being so good looking WHILE READING I was done for. Not to mention it was a relief to get away from the gooey insta-love of Michael and Emerson from Hourglass.
  • Level of Harry-Potter-ness: 3. Kaleb would make HP blush. A lot. He is a bad boy (tattoos and muscles and sexy times…wait, what was I talking about?). But I applaud McEntire for so authentically capturing a different character’s voice from Emerson’s POV in book one.
I would like to take this time to apologize to the next library patron who reads this. I took it to the beach. But the need to know what happened rivaled my need for a tan. I swear I really shook the book out before I returned it!

1 comment:

  1. Another series that I'm told I HAVE to read... also... omg that next library patient totally opened that book up RIGHT BEFORE A JOB INTERVIEW. You ruined their chances and now they are HUNGRY.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!