Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

One benefit of Hurricane Sandy? Grad Student, Goosie Mama and Crazy Camper all together under roof! Second benefit? Goosie Mama catches up on her reviews for YAF and Whiskey Sours.

Pandemonium - ooooh boy, did I like this book. I just remember the end of the book had my eyes BULGING, it was so good!

The synopsis I found isn't so helpful, but basically Pandemonium alternates between Now and Then - the Now being Lena's foray into the city to help the Invalids (whether knowingly or not) bring down the DFA followers of the Book of Shhh (worst name every) and the (in)voluntary inoculations against love. The Then being right after Lena escapes into the Wilds without Alex in tow.

And although the book did drag it parts, the ending is so freaking good - I couldn't handle it. Gahhh, I just want to talk TALK about it.

  • Originality: 7 - I really love this story, and I feel like although I've definitely read a few versions of the elimination of love in the future - this one stands out amongst the other as a unique take on the experience!
  • Absurdity: 7 - That being said, sort of absurd story line. Specifically (the part that made me giggle) the people who live underground in the old subway tunnels that "help" Lena and Julian escape. Second most absurd part? That Julian could ever take the place of Alex.
  • Level of Paranormal Romance: 4 - I did not get that loving feeling between Julian and Lena. That being said, that doesn't mean I'm not pulling for serious love triangle dramatics in the third installment of this series
  • Level of Harry Potterness: 6 - Again, though it was a little slow in certain parts, I thought that overall this was a very solid read. I really loved it!!
PS- want more Pandemonium (and not the Lower-East-Side-without-power-on-Halloween-kind)? Check out Grad Student's review here!

4 comments:

  1. I have just one question... is it confusing at all, going back and forth between the Now and the Then? I feel like that might be kinda tough to balance out. Otherwise, sounds like an exciting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at first, I couldn't figure out how it was possible that Lena was back in the city, right in the midst of the DFA. But it starts to come back together about 50% of the way (now that I've written that, seems like a long way to go to start understanding what the heck is going on!!) :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree about the ending! I GASPED. And i really liked the structure with the flashbacks. I am happy I didnt have to spend half of the book with Lena recreating The Hatchet and THEN get to spying. I found it satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! I'm so excited to read this book now! I read and loved Delirium and I own Pandemonium but haven't gotten around to it yet. Because of the crazy ending, maybe I should just wait to read it until Requiem comes out so I can read them back to back! :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!