Monday, December 17, 2012

Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school….

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life (GoodReads).


Against all odds--at this point I cannot recall the different story of each book, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement--I find this series very entertaining. Because these books are set over a span of a couple of days each, it is extra easy to consume them quickly. 


Originality: 9. A bean sidhe aka a banshee book. Its a first. Not to mention there is a alternative universe layered under the everyday- the Netherworld where hellions live. It is dangerous and there is a good chance you will be eaten if you end up there. This book also encourages the potpourri method of paranormal mixing. All myths are welcome here!
Absurdity: 10. For all the reasons this series/book is original, it is also absurd. 
Level of Paranormal Romance 9. HELLO love triangle between bean sidhes, grim reaper, and ex-boyfriend and reaper's brother beansidhes, which you could argue is a love-quadrangle if you add Sabine Nash's maybe-girlfriend the living Nightmare (she feeds off human nightmares). 
Level of Harry-Potter-ness: 3. The writing and plotting is nothing too elaborate, but it makes it easier to read around midnight when my eyes get watery from lack of sleep. Sometimes you need a good boiler-plate-YA-paranormal series. (I hear people say that all the time, like in the supermarket or subway....)

A Final Thought: Don't get me wrong, I was allllllll about Tod in the last book and gasped and cheered alongside everyone else when he and Kaylee got all kissy face and the ensuing show down, but for some reason Nash was more attractive in this story. I am such a fickle reader!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha. :) I have the first one on my kindle and I really want to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!