Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: Gone by Michael Grant

Gone by Michael Grant:

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE. Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents--unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers--that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else..


So guys.  I was intrigued by this book, but really... I can't. Can't finish it, can't review it.  I think (hope) I am just tooooooo old for this book.  It is batshit crazy.  Even crazier is there is a whole series of them. I CANNOT IMAGINE WHAT GOES ON IN THESE BOOKS.



Via
Absurdity: 10+.  Typical dystopian teenager book goes nuts- mutant powers, real bad, mean, 14 year-olds,  mutations in  humans and animals...talking Great Dane sized coyotes? Dead BABIES? and THEN "the Darkness," down in some old mine...it was the equivalent of a talking-smoke monster from Lost.   It was the return of that thing AGAIN that made me give up on the show, and the similarities which forced me to skip to the ending, and quit this book.

God speed to anyone who got sucked in....

6 comments:

  1. As I was just reading the summary I was wondering about the babies, especially the ones that still need breastfeeding, and then you mention dead babies and I'm thinking I don't have to feel guilty that this is not one of the books weighing down my TBR shelves!

    I love dystopian, but there has to be some hope in them. I had to quit reading The Knife of Never Letting Go because it was just so gloomy, and the poor dog kept getting beat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not pleasant, you never need to go there. So i will count this as taking one for the team!

      Also, the Knife of Never Letter Go is in my library wishlist, but maybe not for much longer.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen lost, but this made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take over your life and leave you disappointed, just say NO, and go watch Friday Night Lights.

      Delete
  3. Oh god, this book DOES sound like Lost... you get totally hooked for like, 3 seasons (er, chapters, I guess) and then after that it goes completely balls to the walls and batshit crazy. Yeah. Not gonna read it. Thanks for taking the hit so the rest of us don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This review made me LOL at your reference to Lost. I know a number of people love this series, but I have to side with you on your decision not to finish. I started this one some time last year and put it down soon after unable to finish it either. The premise sounded awesome, but it was just too much and I couldn't believe there were so many books in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!