Thursday, September 12, 2013

Audio Book Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants
Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon—from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

(Includes Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions on Breastfeeding, Princesses, Photoshop, the Electoral Process, and Italian Rum Cake!)


Bossypants by Tina Fey read by Tina Fey was just what I hoped it would be.

Narrator Voice: 10 this reflects how great it is to hear Fey read her own words. Inflection is everything. 
Absurdity: 10! Fey is hilarious and at her best in one-offs and wacky asides. They are what made me laugh the most.
Level of Paranormal Romance: Sadly, it doesn't apply. (But just imagine how awesome it would be if it did.)
Level of Harry-Potterness 3. No matter how much I love Tina Fey, I still don't love memoirs. They just don't draw me in. I think I liked this book in spite of the fact that it is a memoir mostly because I love Fey's sense of humor. If you like 30 Rock, this is for you.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of most memoirs either, I always zone out because the content is somewhat scattered with the only focus usually being a general life story. I listened to the audiobook for this one also and, while I don't think I would have loved it as a book, I did love hearing Tina Fey tell the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have the same problem with not digging memoirs. I tend to find the person funnier IRL more so than their bookish counterparts. It sounds like Fey was the perfect choice (duh!) to narrate her book and I honestly don't know why this isn't done more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally don't care for memoirs, but I adore this one. Definitely one of my favorite reads last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I love your rating system :) I thought hearing Tina Fey read her book herself was awesome and it was very funny, but definitely lacking in paranormal romance and teen wizards.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!