Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review: This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

This Song Will Save Your LifeMaking friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together (GoodReads).


This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales did not make me laugh at loud, but I thought this book had important things to say about bullying and how important it is to be able to find somewhere and someone with whom you can be yourself. PSA --but I really liked it anyways.

Originality: 6. This book packs a serious punch in chapter 1. I haven't read a lot about bullying in high schools, but this rang as authentic. I felt for Elise (whose name I read as Elsie, whatevs...) and really rooted for her to find herself, but also was struck by how hard it seemed for her to change her situation. We always tell kids 'be strong, be yourself' but here Elise shows that sometimes that just isn't enough and how wearing that can be.
Absurdity: 4. AGAIN with the sneaking out of the house. This seems to be around all the time in YA books (Dessen's Along for the Ride and Everneath come to mind. Does no one's parents have an alarm system!? My parents totally had that set to buzz when doors opened. No sneaking out).
Level of Paranormal Romance: 3. The romance is understated (or more of a booty call) but it works and not every story needs to be a heavy handed romance.
Level of Harry-Potterness: 6. Now this book doesn't grip you with world building, but I DID read it in a single night, so obviously I found it engrossing. I am not a huge music groupie, but I like the idea that you could go and look up the songs. I am sure someone made a Spotify playlist!

This book is due out Sept 17- get on the waiting list now! (Or preorder, if you have a fantasy house with as many bookshelves as you could possibly want. Also, I am jealous of you).

FTC Full Disclosure: I received a review copy from the Macmillian Children's Publishing Group of Farrar, Straus and Giroux via NetGalley. Happy reading followed. (We do not accept or receive compensation for reviews at YAF and WS.)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh... I'm hoping to read this next week. I picked up an ARC from BEA and have only heard good things. And it pisses me off so bad when we tell kids to "Let it go" and "Be strong" instead of telling kids not to bully (this goes along with the whole we tell gets "don't get raped" instead of telling boys "don't rape" which doesn't even go into the fact that men get raped too... but I digress). I guess my point is that we have come a long way, but we all still act, deep down, that might makes right, which makes adults assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had mixed luck with Sale's books, so I think I'll get this one from the library rather than buy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Heck ya!